So what is the famous Rodin sculpture puzzling over? Hopefully a recent quandary in my treatment. Much as I feel well overall and seem to be recovering nicely 3 months post stem cell transplant, a routine couple of white blood cell tests a week apart were below normal and my Oncologist isn't sure why. (That's really him sitting and cogitating over this mystery in the Seattle February sun yesterday).
All components of the blood originate in the bone marrow, and a useful test in understanding a hematological disorder is a bone marrow biopsy, the joys of which I experienced this morning. A brief summary: After entering the back of the hip with a long hollow needle, the marrow is aspirated, placed on microscopic slides, and studied by a Hematopathologist to determine the cause of 'neutropenia' or a low white blood cell count. Won't have any news until tomorrow evening at the earliest but will break the suspense as soon as we find out. Suffice it to say there are many possible causes of white blood cell formation disturbance (both red cells and platelets are OK), but speculation isn't going to help-the bone marrow biopsy is the acid test.
I was reluctant to post this somewhat vague message, but I sense that family and friends want to be kept in the loop, and rest assured I'll keep you in suspense as little time as possible.
Thanks again for your continued and kind support and watch for an update soon!
*****UPDATE Friday 2/10/2012*****
Preliminary bone marrow biopsy shows white blood cells not being made in the bone marrow. Oncologist thinks this might be due to some toxicity, as yet undefined.
Treatment for now: Stop all medicines and supplements; Neulasta injection (that may boost white blood cell production) and followup 2/15 with Oncologist.
Thanks for your wishes and prayers.
T

Thanks for the update. I'm thinking of you and your family and sending positive thoughts.
ReplyDeleteStephanie